Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What Mickey Kawick brings to the table

Describe what you would be doing in your next position. This is often a very broad description and it’s quite possible that your actual next position will differ from this quite a lot. The intent of this question is to understand your current goal as you understand it so please include your thoughts regarding tasks, studio environment, and projects.

I would be a team lead of a core tech team in change of tools, communications (real-time data manipulation of the run-time), core libraries (like STL), and others. This collection of technologies would extend eventually to include other game technologies like audio, graphics, math, physics, animation and locomotion, and most basic 'systems' work. I have written code and tools for all of these categories.

The key here is leadership and I have managed small teams before. But when I manage, I bring something special to the workplace: employees feel needed and rewarded when working for me, employees enjoy coming to work when they work for me, employees are empowered to make decisions and are encouraged to bring their best ideas forward for other team members to evaluate. I use a combination of basic coaching techniques to not only motivate, not only encourage, but inspire employees to greatness.
I manage a small team of Boy Scouts here in BC (as I did in Texas) and I've helped manage baseball. The children normally are there because their parents want them to be. So a coach needs to find a set of encouraging words for each, a set of challenges that each can achieve, and a team to build besides.
Technology comes and goes, but people are really what matters and I make sure that people who work for me know it.

What do you consider to be your strongest (work-related) skills?

I'll list these topically to be as terse as possible.
Technical: C++/C, Math (a broad range most of the time), C#, software architecture, full-product life-cycle, unit-testing (one of the more important things that I bring to the table), unparalleled debugging skill, optimization and performance analysis.
People: motivation, conflict resolution, delivering bad news, soliciting feedback, team building (hiring, role assignment , and teamwork), career management and guidance.
Business: scheduling, business design patterns (firewall, sacrificial lamb), reports and dailies, contracts, managing 3rd party relationships, business plans.

No comments: